Students wishing to do an internship in Sighisoara with the RSP must communicate early in the application process the requirements of their academic institution and particular major for an internship – number of hours, types of experiences, particular assignments, quality of supervision. It will then be necessary for the RSP director to work out a suitable internship plan with the student’s academic department at least in outline form, before the student comes to Romania. Internships have been completed by students in:
- Social Work
- Youth Ministry
- English as a Second Language
Students have the opportunity to learn through serving in a cross-cultural context, working alongside Romanian Christians as members of a multidisciplinary, multicultural, multi-confessional team. Students put their knowledge and skills to use in ministries run by experienced professionals, learning how to assist in a way that is empowering to Romanians and contributes to sustainable community development.
Much of the students’ work takes place in the context of Veritas, a Romanian non-profit organization which grew out of the service activity of the first Romanian Studies Program students in the community of Sighisoara, and now offers a wide range of educational and social services to the people of the town. Students are encouraged to choose one or two programs in which to serve, according to their interests and skills. They may:
- Help in a kindergarten or an after-school program for children or teens from poor, marginalized families;
- Plan and run activities for persons with special needs;
- Assist in a club for isolated elderly;
- Teach English as a second language to children or adults;
- Offer preventative education related to trafficking and domestic violence in a local high school;
- Teach sports or music or acting or creative arts;
- Work in church-related programs for children and youth;
- Help with administrative tasks or grant-writing;
- Conduct a research project useful to the Veritas team;
- Develop promotional materials – brochures, posters, videos;
- Teach or train in other areas of expertise.
Students with business or medical training can usefully apply their knowledge within Veritas, in the context of church-related ministries, or within business ventures in the broader community.
Each student intern is assigned to an RSP staff person who will act as intermediary between the student’s home institution and the Romanians with whom the student will be working, translating the school’s expectations for an internship, the student learning objectives and the needs of the placement setting into a learning contract for the student. The RSP staff person will serve as a cross-cultural mentor, meeting regularly with the student and Romanian co-workers to monitor progress towards objectives, and troubleshoot any problems. Interns will participate in weekly meetings with other RSP students to debrief and discuss their cross-cultural learning.
For more information about service options refer to section on Service, or look at the Veritas website: www.veritas.ro
(Number of credits determined by each student’s home institution)